Sunday, August 24, 2008

So, it's a Convention

This is when the "convention" kind of feels like a convention. I was just in a massive ballroom with hundreds of people milling about eating food off of a buffet. Kind of like....a convention! I will put up some pics tomorrow. You'll see. Ball room. People. Buffet.

But this was pretty cool because it was just Democrats as far as the eye could see. Democrats everywhere! Even a lot that I knew. We saw the Unity Express riders (Angela, Nikema, Leslie, Bernita). We saw Richard Ray, Jane Kidd and her children, Mary Long, various assorted state legislators, Jan Hackney and her son and husband. Also ran into Jelani Cobb, and Jerry Freeman. However, the V-VIPs (Very Very Important People) were apparently at some private much more exclusive function. Nary a sign of a Sunday morning talking head to be seen anywhere. There was also no media. But there were masses and masses of people so this was where the vast bulk of the delegates were tonight.

The theme was "Friends of New Orleans" so we had crawfish, red beans and rice, jambalaya, etc etc. And fun cajun music. And a cameo by Randy Newman. Did I mention the open bar?

Howard Dean spoke briefly to welcome us to Denver. Of course, Jane and I had just left to get another drink so we missed his comments, but I heard he screamed to get the crowd riled up. Kidding. Another delegate got some great pics so I will try to get those to post tomorrow.

So far, so very like a convention. I guess we'll start making history tomorrow!

Delegation breakfast is at 7:45 sharp and I'm feeling the altitude so it's off to bed for me to dream of a better future.

2 comments:

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

Delighted to be following your adventures in Denver! Please tell Stephen Colbert I love him when you run into him.

Kellie said...

Emily - we are LOVING your blog. Thank you for representing District 5 so well.