Monday, August 25, 2008

An Incredible First Night



WOW. Where to even start. I was having trouble with my utterz going to the email address earlier so I didn’t get to update the blog with my morning adventures. I’ll try to fill in those blanks later because it was extremely cool to get to see Donna Brazile, Amy Klobuchar, Claire McCaskill, and a bunch of other UnCONVENTIONAL Women today in a really nice open forum.

But I have to turn attention to this evening. I thought it would be incredible to be here, but I wasn’t expecting to have my very socks knocked off on the very first night. I was inspired, I was proud, I was so filled with patriotism and optimism.

The first really TRULY amazing thing was the Kennedy tribute and then Kennedy’s speech. To see his life of service put into context, and to remember the pain and the sacrifice that he and his family have gone through while fighting for the American dream on the front lines – it makes all the Ted Kennedy detractors seem small. His powerful, passionate devotion to the cause of winning health care for all Americans – undimmed by the day to day losses and backsliding – well, it puts me to shame. The small aggravations and minor frustrations of my own small service to my country and community are really nothing at all. We should all be so resolute and visionary.

But Michelle Obama was the highlight of the night. She was stunning, graceful, poised, eloquent. She had the entire convention hall in tears – happy tears – as she described “our country as it should be.” Which is the unifying vision of the beloved community that we all know as both the fount of our devotion and goal of all of our efforts. I loved the video piece narrated by her mother. It set up her speech so effectively by talking about her relationship with her family, particularly her father, and the compassion that she learned from him.

She had us riveted from the word go. The thing that stood out to me most was how important her relationships are to her – with her father, her mother, her brother, with Barack, and with those beautiful girls. She defines herself in terms of those relationships rather than in terms of her education or career. It’s incredibly endearing. And the way she described her husband and what motivates him – what he is able to achieve and where he wants to lead this country. It’s amazing.

I just had to turn off CNN as they have four Republican stuffed shirts “spinning” the night and talking about what a miss it was overall. (What I find funniest is how they all just LOVE Hillary Clinton now.) I thought more than once how it was so great to be in the hall tonight witnessing it live – being truly in the moment and truly swept away by the beauty and promise of the whole thing – rather than having to watch it through the filter of some horrid pundit whose comments are always completely superfluous and trite. I hope that whatever the rest of America saw was as stirring as what we saw here in Denver.

(cross posted at bluetrueblog.com)

No comments: