Sunday, August 24, 2008

Heading for Denver!

(This is a note I sent to a group of friends on Friday. Copied here to set the stage for the rest of the week...)


Wow, I know it's been a long time since you've heard from the Obama-spam-machine. The combination of RELIEF that we got out of the primaries and a tough summer work schedule that has seen a lot of travel and more than usual overtime has conspired to keep my away from my keyboard-soapbox.

But I thought you would all like to know that I AM going to the Convention!

I believe that most of you heard the tragic story of the congressional district delegate election. I was the fourth vote-getter out of 45 women who ran for three spots. Seriously – like fourth in the Olympics. Just off the podium.

For some multi-media coverage of the day, check out my friend Shelby's post to MTV's political blog. Click the "watch video" link below his mug.

Also, here's one of my friends and slate-mates who was elected that day giving his thoughts to our local NPR station (couldn't you just listen to his voice all day?):

Tough day for me, but, I think, a victory all in all for our much maligned process. Kudos to my good friends (including Page Gleason, Will Curry, Melanie Goux, Sam Westmoreland, Cynthia and Clarence Williams, and everyone else) at the Fulton County Democratic Party who ran a historically large caucus nearly flawlessly.

The next step for me was to move on the State level – to try to get elected by our Georgia State Committee to serve as an At-Large Delegate.

This process usually involves lobbying the 400 member committee made up of party activists from all over the state. As soon as I brushed back the tears after my devastating loss, I started planning my next campaign. On my daily evening runs in the neighborhood, I came up with many creative ideas for how to woo the diverse and dispersed members of the State Committee. But I never put any of these plans into motion because almost as soon as I started to plan, the rumors started about "slashing the lists." In my congressional district alone, there were 42 women who did not get spots. Not to mention the men. Not to mention all the other congressional districts. Not to mention the folks who didn't even run at the district level but planned to run at the state level. Suddenly there were visions of hundreds of candidates flooding the committee members with calls, letters, emails, flowers! And a marathon meeting at which every candidate would give a speech and the committee would vote. A conservative estimate of 200 candidates each giving a three minute speech – wow! Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

So, the party and both campaigns took advantage of a slightly obscure rule in the by-laws which stated that the campaign has the right to scratch anyone from the list for any reason. Ostensibly, this rule is to make sure that folks who are actually supporting another candidate don't make their way onto the ballot. As you might imagine, this was something of a concern this year. But in practice, what they did was to "scratch" the list down to the exact number of slots that were available, in effect choosing the people they wanted to serve.

How did I make this list?? It's a little bit miraculous. A bit of knowing who the decision makers were and lobbying them as much as I could. A bit of credit for a lot of hard work and sacrifice over many years for the party. A bit of having come so close at the congressional district level. A bit of good people going to bat for me. And a whole lot of luck.

So, I am officially an At-Large Alternate Delegate from the great state of Georgia.

And off I go to Denver.

I am partnering with Jerry Freeman, a friend and co-alternate (fyi, we're sort of like jury alternates – get to go, sit in the box, do the whole thing, but don't get to vote unless someone flakes out) to do a Denver blog. I will also be cross-posting to the Young Democrats of Atlanta blog. I will send out information about how to follow our posts as soon as I have it. (Note: obviously since I sent this out, change of plans. Follow everything here at emilyschunior.blogspot.com.)

If you want to reach me while I am in Denver, feel free to email me – I will check at least once a day. Or text or call my mobile: (404) 202-8430. Policy priorities? Send them along. Message for Barack? Send it. Message for Hillary? Don't you worry. I'll be delivering that.

I am expecting great things. The bar is high. But I truly believe Obama is the leader of a generation and I know he can do it. Thursday should be amazing.

Best to all,
Emily

No comments: